Ten things to do in Somerset this weekend - September 21-23
The weekend is upon us once again, and there is no shortage of things to do in Somerset.
It's the perfect time to get into the carnival spirit with spectacular and colourful processions taking place in Frome and Axbridge.
But don't worry if you are more in the mood for live sport, comedy or good food and drink... we have something for everyone in our weekly what's on guide.
1) Open mic night... Taunton's Tacchi-Morris Arts Centre is inviting musicians and visitors to enjoy a free evening of music at an open mic session on Friday night. It gets under way at 7.30pm, and homemade cider will be available at the bar.
2) Frome Carnival... Frome's Cheese and Grain will have more than 40 craft stalls on Saturday, selling a fine selection of local handmade, quality crafts and produce direct from skilled artists and craftspeople. There will also be demonstrations, and doors open at 10am. Admission is free, and the cafe will be open for refreshments. Saturday is also Frome Carnival day, with processions in the afternoon and evening, and lots more fun and entertainment.
3) Yeovil Town v Sheffield United... Yeovil Town are at home against one of League One's biggest clubs, Sheffield United, on Saturday. Gary Johnson's side will be keen to halt a run of three successive defeats in front of a large Huish Park crowd. The game kicks off at 3pm.
4) Taunton Literary Festival... More than 40 events will be held over the nine days of this year's Taunton Literary Festival. It all starts at The Castle Hotel on Saturday with Sir Roger Carrick (11am), Alexander Waugh (4pm) and Felix Francis (6.30pm). Visit www.tauntonliteraryfestival.net for a full list of each day's events.
5) Axbridge Blackberry Carnival... Starting at 2pm on Saturday, this year's Axbridge Blackberry Carnival theme is myths, legends and fairytales. Remember to check This is Somerset after the weekend for all the colour and excitement from the popular procession.
6) Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier Half Marathon... The first ever Weston -super-Mare Grand Pier Half Marathon takes place on Sunday morning. More than 500 club and fun runners will take on the 13.1-mile course, which starts at the Grand Pier at 9am.
7) Medieval combat... The Medieval Combat Society host a spectacular show of medieval tournaments, archery and dancing at the Bishop's Palace, Wells on Sunday. It runs from 11am to 4pm.
8) Comedy night... Yeovil's Octagon Theatre hosts its monthly Comedy Club on the first floor gallery on Sunday evening. MC Mark Olver will introduce performances from Joel Dommett and Tom Wrigglesworth. It starts at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £14 on the night, or £10 if booked in advance.
PUB OF THE WEEK
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
Click here for the latest Somerset weather forecast.