Ten things to do in Somerset this weekend - October 5-7
From live music, theatre and sport to mouth-watering food and drink, there is no shortage of things to do in Somerset this weekend.
If you are wondering what's on in the county in the next few days, here is our weekly guide featuring ten top suggestions to help you plan ahead...
1) Autumn Steam Gala... West Somerset Railway hosts its four-day festival of steam from Thursday to Sunday. The festival marks the 50th anniversary of the ending of long-distance steam trains over the now-closed Somerset and Dorset line. A number of guest steam engines will be making special appearances, along with lots of other things to see and do. Visit www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk for full details.
2) West End spectacular... Taunton Amateur Operatic Society presents a showcase of excerpts from West End shows past and present at the Tacchi-Morris Arts Centre on Friday and Saturday. The show Encore! starts at 7.30pm on both days, and features numbers from Hairspray, Crazy For You, Anything Goes, Wicked and Les Miserables.
3) Oktoberfest... Oktoberfest comes to Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier on Saturday and Sunday. At least 20 local ales will be available, as well as a German-themed menu including Bratwurst sausages and Weiner Schnitzel. Oompah band Die Heidelberger Boys will entertain the crowds each afternoon. Entry is free, and takes place in the conservatory area on the pier’s south deck.
4) Yeovil Town v Colchester United... Yeovil Town are in action again at Huish Park on Saturday, with Colchester United the visitors. Kick off is at 3pm.
5) Chutfest '12... Barrington Court hosts Chutfest '12 on Saturday and Sunday. The festival is a unique opportunity to swap homemade chutneys, pickles, jams and juices with other like-minded preservers, as well as a great chance to stock up the fridge and cupboards at a food fair. Chutfest is open from 11am to 4.30pm on both days.
6) Phil Collins tribute... Yeovil's Octagon Theare hosts a Phil Collins tribute gig on Saturday night. And Finally... The Ultimate Tribute to Phil Collins gets under way in the main auditorium at 7.30pm. An 11-piece band will be fronted by Stars In Your Eyes grand finalist Pete Bultitude.
7) Wishbone Ash... Classic rock legends Wishbone Ash play Frome's Cheese and Grain on Saturday night. Tickets cost £17 in advance or £19 on the door, and the doors open at 8pm.
8) Meet the Minstrels... Blast from the Past comes to The Bishop's Palace in Wells on Sunday, demonstrating Tudor instruments and talking about the different social ocassions when the music would have been played. It runs from 11am to 4pm.
PUB OF THE WEEK
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
If you're ready to plan ahead, click here for the latest weather forecast in Somerset