Ten things to do in Somerset this weekend - October 12-14
Carnivals, days out, live music and sport... there is no shortage of things to do in Somerset this weekend.
Castle Cary is the latest venue for the county's spectacular carnival circuit on Saturday night, but the procession is just one of a number of things you could do this weekend.
The equally spectacular Weston Beach Race returns to the Somerset seaside this weekend, and there are plenty of other events to keep you busy.
Take a look through our weekly guide, and remember you can also click here to check out the latest weather forecast in Somerset.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
1) Nighon Maiden vs Mentallica... Heavy metal fans should visit Frome's Cheese and Grain on Friday night. Iron Maiden and Metallica tribute bands will be on stage, and doors open at 8pm. Tickets cost £11.50 in advance, or £13.50 on the night.
2) Taunton Titans v Clifton... Taunton Titans are at home against Clifton in National 2 South on Saturday. The game at Hyde Park kicks off at 3pm.
3) Weston Beach Race... The annual Weston Beach Race will bring 50,000 bike fans to Weston-super-Mare this weekend. There are races all weekend, starting at 9am on Saturday. The feature race starts at 1pm on Sunday. Click here to read more about the 2012 Weston Beach Race.
4) Castle Cary Carnival... The illuminated spectacular that is the Somerset carnival season stops off at Castle Cary and Ansford on Saturday evening. Road closures will be in place from 7pm until the procession finishes, at around 10pm. Visit the 2012 Castle Cary Carnival website for more details.
5) Somerset County Orchestra... A concert by the Somerset County Orchestra at Taunton's Queen's College starts at 7.30pm on Saturday night. Tickets are £9 for adults and £1 for children, with family tickets available at £20.
6) Musical extravaganza... Wellington Town Band, the New Horizon Singers and the Taunton Suzuki Group of Young Violinists will be part of a musical extravaganza at Taunton's Tacchi-Morris Arts Centre on Saturday night. The charity concert in aid of the new Beacon Cancer Centre at Musgrove Park Hospital starts at 7.30pm. Tickets are £7.50, or £6.50 for concessions.
7) Puxton Park visit... Puxton Park is hosting a special Help for Heroes weekend. Staff will be dressing up as military, and are encouraging visitors to do the same. Anyone who dresses up will get £2 off admission, which will be donated to the charity. On Saturday, there's a chance to meet police horses and their handlers. The RNLI will also be represented between 9am and 4pm on both days, along with the British Legion Riders Branch with their motorbikes.
8) Glastonbury Abbey exhibition... The Reflections on Glass exhibition at Glastonbury Abbey is now open. Featuring stunning creations made from glass, it shows the work of renowned artists such as Fabrizia Bazzo, Frank Grenier, Nina Gronw-Lewis, Rowan van der Holt and Sonja Klingler.
PUB OF THE WEEK
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK