Ten things to do in Somerset this weekend - June 29 to July 1
The weekend is almost upon us and, as usual, This is Somerset is here to provide ten top suggestions for things to do.
Whether you fancy live music, dance or sport, a truck spectacular, or simply just some fantastic food and drink, our regular weekly list provides some ideas for everyone.
If you're waiting to see what the weather's like before planning your weekend, click here to see the latest weather forecast in Somerset...
1) Enjoy Twenty20 cricket... There are two chances to watch Somerset CCC in Friends Life t20 action at Taunton this weekend, against Gloucestershire on Friday evening and Worcestershire on Sunday afternoon. Be quick to book your tickets for Friday night though, as a sell-out is expected.
FREE WHEATGERM WITH EVERY POND HEATER www.blagdon-water-gardens.c...View details
Protect your pond fish this winter. Purchase the resun 100w pond heater £39.99 from www.blagdon-water-gardens.co.uk and we will give you a pot of Tetra wheatgerm 1l winter fishfood worth £4.99 FREE
Contact: 01934 316673
Valid until: Friday, February 28 2014
2) Spend an evening with Des... Entertainment legend Des O'Connor is at the Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier on Friday evening. A memorable evening of comedy, laughter and music is promised. Tickets start at £22, and it gets under way at 8pm.
3) Join the truckers... Truckfest is being held at the Royal Bath & West Showground this weekend. It's not just for those in the road haulage industry, as there are plenty of spectacular displays involving monster trucks and stunt acts. Tickets on the day cost £14 for adults and £7 for children aged between five and 15. Under-fives go in free, and family tickets for two adults and two children cost £35. It opens from 9am to 5.30pm on both Saturday and Sunday.
4) See a dance spectacle... Yeovil's Octagon Theatre hosts two performances of Dance Infinity 2012 on Saturday at 2pm and 7pm. Featuring dancers of all ages performing varieties of of dance from classical ballet, street jazz, zumba and hip hop, tickets cost £12.50 for adults and £10 for children.
5) Summer at the seaside... West Somerset Railway holds the first of three Summer Evenings at the Seaside on Saturday night. Catch the 4.10pm from Bishops Lydeard and head up to Minehead for an evening on the seafront, before leaving for the return journey at 8.40pm. Tickets on the day cost £17 for adults, £15.40 for seniors and £8.50 for children. Under-fives are free, and a family ticket for two adults and up to four children costs £45. Discounts are available for advance bookings.
6) A party on the beach... It's the annual T4 on the Beach spectacular at Weston-super-Mare on Sunday, featuring lots of performances from acts such as Little Mix, Alexandra Burke, Tulisa, The Wanted and many other chart-toppers. If you don't fancy being part of the 50,000 crowd, you can always watch it on Channel 4.
7) Catch a movie... If you fancy seeing a film this weekend, check out our latest cinema reviews. Among the films out this week are Fast Girls and The Angel's Share.
8) See Somerset's musical talent... Why not end the weekend at Tabernacle Junction's open mic night on Sunday evening? Entry is free, and the Yeovil venue promises 'a top night of chilled out music'.
PUB OF THE WEEK
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK