Ten things to do in Somerset this weekend - December 7-9
It is time to look forward to another bumper weekend of things to do in Somerset.
If you're wondering what's on in the county, look no further - from live music, sport and entertainment to festive days out and fine dining, our weekly guide is here to give you ten top suggestions...
1) The Wind in the Willows... Taunton's Brewhouse Theatre and Arts Centre stages The Wind and the Willows as its Christmas show this winter. Performances start on Friday, and run through until January 5. Call the box office on 01823 283244 to book tickets.
2) Christmas past - Step back in time and shop by candlelight in the medieval village of Dunster. Many shops will be opening their doors until 9pm over the two evenings of December 7 and 8, while restaurants and street stalls provide the refreshment. Programmes for Dunster by Candlelight cost £1, with all proceeds going to St Margaret's Hospice. The only access to Dunster is by park-and-ride buses, with more information available at www.dunsterbycandlelight.co.uk.
3) Santa steam train specials... West Somerset Railway has Santa Specials this weekend, giving passengers a 15-minute steam train ride to see Father Christmas at either Crowcombe Heathfield (from Bishops Lydeard) or Blue Anchor (from Minehead). A lot of the trains are fully booked, but seats are still available on others. Call 01643 704996 or visit the West Somerset Railway website for the latest infrormation.
4) Yeovil Town v Notts County... Yeovil Town are at home against Notts County on Saturday afternoon, kick-off 3pm. The Glovers have launched a series of initiatives to boost crowds at Huish Park, and have teamed up with the Western Gazette to offer up to £5 off on Yeovil Town v Notts County match tickets.
5) Grease Christmas party... Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier has a Grease-themed Christmas party on Saturday night. Tickets cost £39.50 and include an hour's unlimited rides, a four-course meal and entertainment from the Grease tribute act.
6) Classic movies... Strode Theatre is screening It's A Wonderful Life on Saturday evening at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £7.50, or £6.50 for concessions.
7) Sunday stroll... If you fancy clearing the cobwebs on Sunday morning, why not take in the spectacular scenery at Cheddar Gorge? It's a perfect way to work off those Saturday night excesses.
8) Frome Symphony... Frome Symphony returns to the town's Cheese and Grain venue on Sunday evening. A pre-concert talk from Stephen Marquiss gets under way at 6.30pm, with the concert starting at 7.30pm. Tickets are £11 for adults and £8 for children or OAPs. Call the box office on 01373 455420.
PUB OF THE WEEK
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK