Who is the dapper gent on postcard sent to brewery?
THIS interesting postcard dating from August 1933 was posted in Exmouth and was found among some papers relating to the Lamb Brewery and its successor the Frome United Brewery Ltd by Richard Findley of The Bath Arms.
It was uncovered as part of our research for the Frome Museum's Lost Pubs of Frome exhibition and the forthcoming book.
It is addressed to a Mr LV Trotman of Somerset Road, Frome, and singed R.E.B.
The postcard reads: "Weather rather indifferent. Don't know whether you can recognise this grotesque image on the other side. I hope things are going on all right. Regards R.E.B."
The Trotman family had been involved in brewing in Frome since at least 1852 and possibly as far back as 1835, trading as the Badcox Brewery and the Frome United Brewery.
In 1878 Edward Trotman became the owner of Tucker's Grave at Faulkland and by 1892 they had completed a brewery in Vallis Way at a cost of £5,000.
The brewers' board of directors included members of the well-known Baily family, involved in Frome pubs and brewing for generations.
As yet we have been unable to trace the splendid gent who signs his picture "ERB" but it seems quite possible that, given the provenance of the card, he was a member of the Baily family and that LV Trotman was a member of that family of brewers.
A quick search of the internet has revealed that an LV Trotman took part in a cricket match between Frome and Westbury in 1899.
He batted at No 8, made four runs and didn't take any wickets so perhaps his talents lay in other directions.
Could this be a relative? Are the Trotman and Baily families still in the Frome area?
Mick Davis and Valerie Pitt are collecting information and memorabilia for a book on the history of the pubs of Frome and would be grateful for any copies of documents, photographs or memories that you might have.
They can be contacted via Frome Museum on 01373 454611, by email via email@example.com or visiting them at 1 North Parade.
The Lost Pubs of Frome exhibition is open until September 7, Tuesday to Saturday from 10am until 2pm.