Vodka binge puts teen in severe danger
DOWNING a bottle of vodka left a Wells schoolboy in hospital after collapsing during a boozy night out.
The 14-year-old boy from Wells, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been out drinking with a friend during the Night on the Town.
If it wasn't for the timely intervention of a passer-by he might not have received the hospital treatment he needed.
He was spotted at the bandstand having passed out. His "less-drunk" friend was trying to drag him back to the city centre by his ankles.
FREE home energy survey - BEAT THE ENERGY PRICE CRUNCH!View details
Call us on 01271 323309 and book your FREE home energy survey during December. Let us help you reduce your energy bills as well as your carbon footprint.
Valid until 20th Dec 2013
Consultation is completely free
No obligation and impartial advice
Contact: 01271 440974
Valid until: Friday, December 20 2013
Andrew Adamson saw what was going on an called and ambulance on his mobile phone.
The boy was taken to Yeovil District Hospital where they did not risk waking him due to the head injuries he sustained when he collapsed and the amount of alcohol in his blood.
After coming round he was kept in hospital for 24 hours where they ran multiple tests to see if he had taken any other substances.
The only thing that came up from the tests was a "large amount" of vodka in his system.
Inspector Mark Nicholson, from Avon and Somerset Police, said: "He was lucky that the man came along when he did.
"The witness said that their was vomit everywhere and that the boy had injuries to his face."
As a result of this incident the police plan to bring forward talks at Wells schools about the dangers of excessive drinking.
Youth project co-ordinator, Jenny Maynard, said: "We want young people to be aware that alcohol brings with it a high level of personal safety risks, health hazards and legal implications that could affect their lives and future prospects."