Second rail dog falls ill in Frome
PEOPLE who walk on a site in Frome where a dog that ate a mysterious substance later died are being urged to give information on what might have caused the tragedy.
The appeal comes following reports that more dogs have been affected, with one being treated in the Bristol Veterinary Hospital for stomach ulcers and irritable bowel disease after walking along a field near Feltham Lane.
The Frome Standard reported last week of Alison Harding's dog Wizard, who died suddenly after eating something on the path.
We were contacted this week by Eleanor Powell, whose friend's dog was referred to the veterinary hospital after showing severe symptoms, including vomiting and diarrhoea.
Mrs Powell said: "My friend's dog, Ruby, who is two, was given a endoscopy which revealed severe stomach ulcers and an irritable bowel. The vets don't know what is causing it. Whatever is in that area is highly toxic. I would urge dog walkers to stay away."
A Mendip District Council spokesman said: "We would ask dog owners whose pets have been affected to contact us with the location and as much detail as they can give.
"If there is the chance that these dogs have been taken ill by consuming a substance that has been illegally dumped, we will investigate. We can be contacted on 0300 303 8588 or email customerservices@men dip.gov.uk."
Anyone with information is asked to call Standard reporter Claire Wilson on 01761 417778.