Residents shocked by blaze tragedy
LANGPORT residents have expressed shock after a 65-year-old man died following a fire in his home.
An inquest was opened into the death of James White yesterday.
A statement from the East Somerset Coroner's office said Mr White died on Monday and was believed to have been smoking in the presence of an oxygen supply when this ignited.
Fire crews were called to a semi-detached house at Eastover after reports that a smoke alarm had gone off in the property at around 2.45am.
A spokesman from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said crews found that a small fire had already been extinguished.
Mr White was known to friends and neighbours in Eastover as a talented musician.
A neighbour said: "He played beautifully – a lot of people will remember him from when he played in a band – he had a real talent. You could often hear him playing as you walked past the house."