Pub's smoking area takes brunt of storm
SHEPTON Mallet pub the Highwayman Inn was ravaged by high speed winds on Sunday night.
The pub's smoking shelter was ripped from the ground and knocked into an electricity pole.
Pauline Fletcher said: "It was a shock.
"I went downstairs in the morning and it was just there, flapping away. It's just so freaky, because it's quite a heavy thing.
FREE WHEATGERM WITH EVERY POND HEATER www.blagdon-water-gardens.c...View details
Protect your pond fish this winter. Purchase the resun 100w pond heater £39.99 from www.blagdon-water-gardens.co.uk and we will give you a pot of Tetra wheatgerm 1l winter fishfood worth £4.99 FREE
Contact: 01934 316673
Valid until: Friday, February 28 2014
"A parasol was snapped in half and we've got a carnival club based here and it did a bit of damage to the float.
"We had to have an electrician out because the shelter had knocked the electricity pole and they had to winch it up straight – a real serious bit of damage."
For more on this week's storms turn to pages 14 and 15.