Paying homage to a kind bishop
The Mayor of Wells, Councillor Maureen Brandon, together with the mayor's chaplain, Reverend Prebendary Alastair Wheeler, and members of Wells City Council paid homage at the Wells conduit to Bishop Thomas Bekynton.
Bishop Bekynton was the Bishop of Bath and Wells between 1443 and 1465 and was known as a kind and conscientious man.
At Wells he is remembered for his building of the Bishop's Eye, Penniless Porch, and Brown's Gate as well as many domestic buildings in the Bishop's Palace and the row of 12 town houses on the north side of Market Place.
In 1451 he built a conduit so that the citizens of Wells would always have fresh clean water.
In January each year the Wells City Council gather at the conduit to thank Bishop Bekynton and then proceed to the cathedral for a commemorative evensong and place a posie and bowl of water at the Bishop's tomb.