Passer-by spots fire in Weston-super-Mare home's garage and utility room
Occupants of a house near Weston-super-Mare had passers-by to thank after a blaze broke out yesterday afternoon.
A fire had broken out in the garage and utility room of the house in the High Street at Worle, but the residents were unaware of it.
A member of the public spotted smoke coming from the building yesterday lunchtime, and called the emergency services.
Three fire crews from Weston-super-Mare were at the scene within minutes, and extinguished the blaze using a high pressure hose reel.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Avon Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was believed to have started accidentally in a tumble drier.
"Fortunately the occupants of the bungalow were able to safely escape the fire which caused minor damage to the garage, but did not spread to the main house," said a spokesman.
"The incident highlights the importance of installing smoke alarms in all areas of your home in which electrical items could pose a risk of fire."