Overloaded plugs danger is highlighted
Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service are urging people to be safe when it comes to sockets.
Many people have extension leads in their homes, often with four-way adaptors to increase the number of appliances you can plug in.
The fire service wants to make people aware that it is not always safe to do this as different electrical appliances use different amounts of power.
They say to avoid the risk of overheating and possibly fire, you should never plug into an extension lead or socket appliances that together use more than 13 amps or 3000 watts of energy.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Their top tips are:
Watch for signs of dangerous or loose wiring such as: scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that often blow, circuit breakers that trip for no obvious reasons and flickering lights.
Certain appliances, such as washing machines, should have a single plug just to themselves, as they are considered high powered.
An extension lead or adaptor will have a limit to how many amps it can take, so be careful not to overload them to reduce the risk of fire.
Look out for signs of badly wired plugs - any coloured wires sticking out could come loose and debris could also get into the plug making it a fire hazard.
Never cut sealed plugs and use them again.