Landlord praises fire crews after after pub blaze at The Halfway House in Pitney
Drama engulfed a Pitney pub on Sunday as alarmed customers saw smoke billowing into the bar.
Fire crews were called to The Halfway House shortly after 6.45pm after reports of flames and embers falling from the chimney.
A fire appliance from Martock was dispatched to the scene – with staff helping customers outside while crews tackled the blaze.
After requesting a further fire appliance from Martock to attend with a thermal image camera and confirming they were unable to fight the fire from the hearth, crews climbed ladders to put out the blaze from the chimney pot.
Create the wow factor in your new kitchen by taking advantage of this fantastic NEFF promotion. Simply buy four Neff appliances and you can purchase a Neff dishwasher for half price.
Terms: Excludes warming drawers & accessories
Contact: 01458 550009
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Landlord Mark Phillips, who has run the pub for more than four years, said: “The customers noticed the smoke coming into the bar and we got everyone out as quickly as possible. The staff did a great job in making sure everyone was OK.
“It’s obviously not great news, but we have three open fires going all the year round which contributes to the atmosphere of the place. It’s all part and parcel of running the pub.”
No damage was caused as a result of the fire, with customers soon returning back inside the Campaign for Real Ale award-winning pub after crews had carried out safety precautions.
Mr Phillips praised the fire service for their work.
He said: “It’s great news that no damage was caused and the the punters all took it in good heart. We get our chimney swept regularly, but the fire service did a fantastic job, kept everyone safe, and carried out their work very quickly.”