Major search launched for boy, 4, missing off Burnham-on-Sea
The search for a missing four-year-old boy who went into the water at Burnham-on-Sea last night is continuing today, police say.
Police officers supported coast guard through the night in the effort to locate Dylan Cecil, from Kettering.
This morning underwater divers will attend the area to conduct a further search.
A major search operation was launched last night by coastguards, an RAF helicopter and lifeboat crews.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
The child was last seen entering the water at shortly after 6pm.
His anguished parents went into the sea to try to save him and had to be pulled to safety.
They were treated at the scene for water ingestion.
Despite reports to the contrary, the search near the town's jetty was still ongoing at 10.15pm and involved three lifeboats, two coastguard rescue teams and an RAF helicopter.
A Maritime & Coastguard Agency spokeswoman said: "A member of the public dialled 999 at 6.04 pm to inform Swansea coastguard that they had seen two adults go in the water to attempt to rescue a small child and that they needed medical assistance.
"Swansea coastguard sent the Burnham-on-Sea coastguard rescue team to the scene, along with the two Burnham-on-Sea RNLI lifeboats.
"The coastguard rescue helicopter from Portland is also on scene, along with a police helicopter and Avon Ambulance Service."
Following a statement issued by the police that incorrectly said the search had been called off because of poor light, the agency's official Twitter account stated at 9.50pm: "Just to confirm, search is still ongoing at Burnham-on-Sea.
"Three lifeboats, two coastguard rescue teams and an RAF helicopter are on scene."
Superintendent Keith McCorbrey said this morning: "As you are all aware we are currently involved in a large scale, multi agency rescue operation, here in Burnham-on-Sea.
"This began late yesterday afternoon; following reports that four year old Dylan Cecil from the Kettering area had fallen into the water at the Esplanade. A well rehearsed operation involving police and coastguard began and continued throughout the night and into today.
"As you can all imagine this has been an extremely difficult time for the family who tried in vain to save him and were pulled from the water and treated by ambulance.
"They have been left traumatised by the whole incident and have asked that you to respect their privacy. A police family liaison officer is providing support and keeping them updated on the progress of the rescue attempt."