Homes evacuated as fire destroys Wells kebab shop
Neighbours were evacuated from their homes when fire destroyed a kebab shop in the centre of Wells in the early hours of Boxing Day.
Fire appliances from Wells, Glastonbury and Shepton Mallet and the incident command unit from Street all attended and found the premises ablaze when they arrived just after 3.20am. Western Power was also called to deal with the electricity supply.
The fast-food outlet, on the corner of St John’s Street and Broad Street, has been closed for several months but was in the process of being renovated prior to reopening.
It is believed that the kebab and burger outlet was due to reopen the day after it caught fire.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
It is a mid-terrace property and residents on both sides were taken in by neighbours while the fire crews worked on the blaze.
Sally Robertson, who lives above Ron Thompson’s carpet store next to the kebab shop, was woken when her daughter heard the smoke alarm in their own kitchen going off.
“It was very shocking,” she said. “But I am just so glad someone had the presence of mind to call the fire brigade when they did.
“And thank goodness for the quick response of the fire fighters.
“We were able to go back into our flat at about a quarter past five and the only problem was a slight smell of smoke.”
She and her daughter were taken in by Joe and Christina Borastero, of Wells Dry Cleaners on Queen Street, who also helped to look after Don and Lena, of Don’s barber shop on the other side of the burning property.
Mr Borastero said something woke him at about 3.15am and he looked out to see smoke pouring from the building with several fire engines outside.
He said: “It was a surreal experience. You get to know your neighbours and they are part of the community.
“You don’t expect this to happen in sleepy Wells.
“Your first thought is to make sure everyone’s all right.”
Speaking of the burnt-out building Mr Borastero said: “They had done a beautiful job on doing up the shop and now it is nothing.”
A fire brigade investigation is set to take place.