Homes evacuated in Wells after gas leak fears
More than 20 homes have been evacuated in Wells following a fire and a gas leak at a city pub on Wednesday evening.
High levels of carbon monoxide forced fire crews to abandon efforts to make the pub safe, and dozens of residents were left shivering on the roadside in sub zero temperatures waiting for help to arrive.
Firefighters were called to chimney fire at The Fountain Inn, St Thomas Street around 6.30pm and warned neighbours that they may have to be evacuated because of fears of a gas leak.
Neighbour Nial Pearce said that at around 7pm firefighters returned to neighbours and told them to leave their homes.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"They said that if we smelled any smoke we should go outside, and when they came back they said there was a gas leak.
"They went in with breathing gear on, but their detectors showed there were high levels of carbon monoxide in the building and it was too dangerous for them to stay inside."
Residents were stood in the street for nearly two hours while the building was made safe. Fire crews are currently waiting for a gas engineer to make sure that homes in the area are safe and residents can return to their homes.
Tor Street, St Thomas Street and The Liberty are closed and access to Wells along the B3139 from Dulcote has also been closed.