Evacuation as gas cylinder catches fire
BUSINESS premises were evacuated when hoses attached to a gas cylinder caught fire at a builders' yard in Wincanton.
Crews from Wincanton, Castle Cary, Yeovil and Gillingham were called to Hopkins Bros Building Contractors on Thursday, February 21, following reports of an acetylene cylinder catching alight at around 11am.
Firefighters evacuated dozens of workers from premises on the Southgate Road site and closed the road to create an exclusion zone in case the fire spread to surrounding gas cylinders.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews were able to quickly establish that the fire involved hoses of welding equipment attached to the acetylene cylinder only and were able to safely extinguish this using one hose reel jet.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"They then used a thermal image camera to ascertain the temperatures of the cylinders and ensure the safety of the scene."
PCSO Zoe Brooks said: "A 200-metre cordon was set up because there were gas cylinders involved. The incident was dealt with in about an hour."