Gary Johnson expects more Yeovil Town signings in pre-season
Gary Johnson has told Yeovil Town fans to expect more signings during the course of pre-season.
The Glovers return for training ahead of the 2012-13 campaign on Monday, with the manager already promising “three to four” new signings by the end of this week.
However, he has said that these will not be the last as he looks to build a squad less reliant on loans than in previous years. Johnson suggested temporary players may only be signed to fill in for injured or suspended key men.
When asked if Yeovil would make more permanent signings this summer, Johnson said: “We will. The ideal situation is you get your squad of 18 players that are all permanent and all yours, then you have not got to worry about it. The more you get, of course, the better and then nobody can pull them back a bit later.
“You have got to try and use the loans, I always think, when one of your big guns goes down injured for any period. Generally you have not got two big guns in one position at this level and we will use the loans as and when.
“Touch wood, we do not get any big problems but if we lose a good one then we will have to bring in a loan.”
With the boss wanting as much time as possible to work with his first team squad for next season and players already committing their futures to the Glovers, Johnson said he would not be inviting many trialists to train.
“Probably not as many as people will have seen in previous years,” he said. “If, say, we only had three players you would have seen hundreds because it would mean we would not have been able to pick up those that we already know about.
“We have been lucky enough to get a good array of players that we know about, they have played League games, etc, etc.
“Of course there will be the usual handful of trialists but they will not be your ‘Dear Mr Johnson, I live in Hull, I have been playing football since the age of five, I am now 19 and would like to play in League One, I have no experience whatsoever’ types – we will have none of them.”
Yeovil will complete deals for attackers Keanu Marsh-Brown, Sam Foley and Reuben Reid on Monday, while Johnson remained coy about his other targets.
He said: “We have had to work very hard to get what we feel is the right type of player in as early as we have and I really did want to start pre-season with 90-5 per cent of the squad. I think I have done that and have got a couple of bits to do.
“It is not something where I think we are going to lose these players, it is just a bit more in the detail. That is why I cannot say who it is to anyone because it is sometimes these loose ends that prove dangerous. I do not think I need to panic on it, it is just something that is not ready to be announced just yet.”
Johnson said Nathan Jones’ exit at the end of last month came as a shock but backed the new Charlton Athletic under-21 professional development coach to shine.
“Nathan was very much part of our close-knit group and it was a bit of a shock to me when he wanted to move on,” said Johnson. “Nathan is obviously an ambitious lad and with both me and Terry there it put him one down the pecking order where he would rather not be.
“Darren Way does a very good job at the club on the coaching side and the technical side, with ProZone and the stats which are vital to us. Darren has his own little niche there and Nathan did a good job.
“The only thing about Nathan was that because of his injury it was difficult for him to do a lot of coaching as he had to rehabilitate. We had him as a player at the time, I brought him straight back in the team, he did well for us and was part of our good run.
“He did a great job for me, he is a good coach and I think he will find something that is his way in the game.”