Father blasts lack of response from rally organisers after crash
A SPECTATOR of a rally car crash at Bath and West Showground this month has blasted organisers for their lack of response.
The Regency Stages Rally took place on October 12 and during the second round a car came off the track and crashed into the audience.
Two young brothers and their father were taken to hospital but escaped with minor injuries.
Organisers of the event, the Weston Super Mare Motor Club (WSMMX), have been unavailable for comment since the accident.
FREE home energy survey - BEAT THE ENERGY PRICE CRUNCH!View details
Call us on 01271 323309 and book your FREE home energy survey during December. Let us help you reduce your energy bills as well as your carbon footprint.
Valid until 20th Dec 2013
Consultation is completely free
No obligation and impartial advice
Contact: 01271 440974
Valid until: Friday, December 20 2013
Steve Ryrie, from Frome, attended the event with his four-year-old son. He said: “This was the first experience for myself and my four-year-old son of a rally and had all the potential of being a really exciting day.
“At approximately 11:30, my son and I were stood in the designated spectators area which was diagonally opposite the exit to a 90 degree bend when my seventh sense told me that the Subaru Imprezza in question was exiting the corner too fast and was not looking like holding the track line.
“Something made me pick my son up who was stood on the left of me and pull him backwards and to my right. As I did this, the car left the track and ploughed straight into the crowd of between twenty and thirty people resulting in the injuries of a father and his two sons as has been reported in the press.
“When I had made sure my four-year-old son was safe, the tracks of the car in the wet long grass were less than a metre from where we had previously been stood, and my quick reactions had ensured that myself and son had not become a victim, unlike some of the other unfortunate spectators who were stood next to me a few minutes before.
“To say my son was shocked would be an understatement, and all he could say to me was ‘Daddy can we go home please, as I am scared’.
“Fortunately nobody was seriously injured, but this to me appears to be more by lack than good judgement on the behalf of Weston Super Mare Motor Club (WSMMC).
“The official designated spectator area appeared to be at best twenty metres from the track and the only 'protection' for the spectators was a rope - not a hay bale insight. I appreciate that a hay bale would not have prevented the car from entering the spectator area, but it might have taken some of the impact away.
“The worst of it all though for me, is the fact that throughout all the media coverage of this, whether this be through local newspaper media at the time or subsequently, online through national media or through the WSMMC website there has been no comment made - no recognition of the incident from the organisers of the event or no apology to the spectators on the day.
“This is shocking, very sad and hugely disappointing. I would never pay a visit to another WSMMC event as my trust and faith in the organisers being able to safely and securely lay on what is a dangerous sport is completely lacking.
“I really hope that from this unfortunate and avoidable situation will come some good, and that the course management used by WSMMC improves for future events, as from my experience of the day I would have to conclude that WSMMC were totally unfit to run such an event.”