Drew Eastaff: Popular care worker died after night out in Frome drinking
A 20 year-old carer died from acute alcohol toxicity after a night out with friends in Frome, an inquest has ruled.
Drew Eastaff, who lived at Charlton near Radstock, was found on the kitchen floor of a friend's house in Great Elm, near Frome after the night out in April and died the following day at Bath RUH.
His friends said they had thought he was asleep and snoring when they tried to rouse him.
It was only when the boyfriend of one of the girl's arrived later that morning the alarm raised.
FREE WHEATGERM WITH EVERY POND HEATER www.blagdon-water-gardens.c...View details
Protect your pond fish this winter. Purchase the resun 100w pond heater £39.99 from www.blagdon-water-gardens.co.uk and we will give you a pot of Tetra wheatgerm 1l winter fishfood worth £4.99 FREE
Contact: 01934 316673
Valid until: Friday, February 28 2014
A full post mortem could not be carried out because Mr Eastaff's family had agreed to his organs being donated but blood tests revealed that some 10 to 12 hours after he had finished drinking he was still over the legal drink driving limit.
The report concluded that the cause of Mr Eastaff's death was unascertained but it also said that given Mr Eastaff had been drinking the previous night his blood levels would have been significantly higher and death was probably related to acute alcohol toxicity.
East Somerset coroner Tony Williams was told that Mr Eastaff had been drinking with other friends at the home of Emily Clink before going into Frome with them for a night out.
Miss Clink said that Mr Eastaff had arrived at her home about 7pm and while others had been drinking cider and wine he had been drinking vodka from a small bottle with some mixers.
She said that there had also been cocaine available which had been put on a DVD case for people to help themselves.
The inquest heard that although the drug had been available blood tests showed that Mr Eastaff had not taken any drugs.
Later on they went into Frome where they started drinking at the Old Bath Arms before some of them made their way to Bar 11 and then to the Wheatsheaves.
They left the town just after 3am and the inquest heard that the friends then sat round the kitchen table with some drinks before making their way to bed.
It was Miss Clink who found Mr Eastaff when she came downstairs and she told the inquest that he had been sick, which she had cleared up, but she had been concerned because he had been lying on the kitchen floor all night.
She said that he was snoring or grunting and she had wanted to get him to the sofa so he could sleep it off.
Efforts by her herself and her friend Charlotte Twomey to move him failed and she called her boyfriend, Stuart Burton, who had not gone out with them that night to help.
Miss Twomey said that Mr Eastaff was a messy drunk who drank until he passed out and then could not be roused.
Mr Burton said that when he arrived at the house he saw Mr Eastaff on the floor with a blanket on him and with brown fluid round his mouth.
He said: "When I touched him he was ice cold and appeared not to be breathing. Something was not quite right and I called upstairs and asked them to ring for an ambulance and said he is dead.
It was clear that all the people in the house had been drinking heavily the night before and were still drunk."
Mr Wlliams said that he was given credit to the amount of alcohol that Mr Eastaff would have consumed starting from the middle of the evening through to the early hours of the Sunday.
Mr Williams recorded a verdict of accidental death.
He also told Mr Eastaff's family that he had taken on board their concerns that organ donation had prevented a full post mortem and would be writing to the donation service.