Dog poisoned by raisins
A PILTON dog owner has warned fellow pet lovers about the dangers of food designed for humans making their way into the pets diet.
Donna Snow’s seven-year-old collie, Red Dog, became sick after eating several hundred grammes of raisins, but, like many dog owners, Donna believed that her pet would be fine, once it had got the fruit out of its system.
Raisins contain toxins that can be poisonous to dogs, but the symptoms and effects from ingesting them can vary greatly from animal to animal. A typical example sees a dog become very hyperactive and jittery for a period, before turning docile and lethargic.
Donna, who lives in Pilton, felt it was safe to leave her pet and go to work the next day, but Red Dog’s condition worsened very quickly. Donna rushed home after a call from a friend who had checked up on her dog, but it was too late by the time they made it to the vet.
FREE home energy survey - BEAT THE ENERGY PRICE CRUNCH!View details
Call us on 01271 323309 and book your FREE home energy survey during December. Let us help you reduce your energy bills as well as your carbon footprint.
Valid until 20th Dec 2013
Consultation is completely free
No obligation and impartial advice
Contact: 01271 440974
Valid until: Friday, December 20 2013
Donna said she hoped some good could come from the loss of her pet by raising awareness of the issue.
“Not many people realise how dangerous certain foods can be to dogs. A couple of people I spoke to had heard some foods were bad for them, but didn’t know to what extent. Many people have absolutely no idea at all,” she said.
“Hopefully this can show how important it is to keep certain things away from dogs, and to recognise the symptoms and what must be done if they actually do become ill.”
Martin Law, of Shepton Veterinary Group, agreed: “Awareness is not what it could be.
“If somebody is concerned about their dog then call the vet immediately.
“Most vets offer 24-hour support these days. The first things to establish are how much has your pet eaten and when.
“Knowing that, we can offer guidance on what will help. It’s important that the dog vomits within two hours of digestion, which we can help with.”
Do you know which foods dogs shouldn't eat?
Avocado: May contain a toxin principle known as persin.
Bread Dough: Can expand in the stomach and in extreme cases lead to death.
Chocolate: Caffeine and theobromine in chocolate can be toxic.
Alcohol: Even ingesting a small amount can cause severe intoxication.
Onions and Garlic: Contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells.