Chimney fire at Uncle Tom's Cabin stuns Wincanton
Drama swept Wincanton's high street on Tuesday after a chimney fire broke out at Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Staff and customers at the 160-year-old pub filtered out into the street just after 6pm when flames were seen coming from the chimney.
The chimney pot was glowing red and had cracked – sparking fears that it could spread to the thatched roof.
Landlord Ted Petre-Mears said: "It could have been a lot worse. The safety of customers and staff was the most important thing."
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Fire crews from Wincanton, Castle Cary and Yeovil were called to remove the pot and ensure the pub's safety. A small section of High Street was closed to motorists while checks were carried out. The pub has since reopened.