Boxing Day blaze shop to re-open
AFTER nearly a year of rebuilding, the Wells fast food shop which blew up on Boxing Day will re-open on Thursday.
Chubby’s, on the corner of St John Street and Broad Street, was severely damaged in an electrical fire just as it was about to open for the first time.
After an investigation by a Joint Fire Investigation team, which included a special sniffer dog to smell if any accelerant had been used to start the fire, found that the explosion was accidental.
Their report said the cause was a “fault with or abnormal electrical activity within a large commercial freezer”.
FREE WHEATGERM WITH EVERY POND HEATER www.blagdon-water-gardens.c...View details
Protect your pond fish this winter. Purchase the resun 100w pond heater £39.99 from www.blagdon-water-gardens.co.uk and we will give you a pot of Tetra wheatgerm 1l winter fishfood worth £4.99 FREE
Contact: 01934 316673
Valid until: Friday, February 28 2014
Chubby’s owner, Aytekin Sen, said he was pleased to finally be opening in Wells.
“It’s been a lot of hassle,” he said. “but I’m really glad to be opening at last.”
Mr Sen has been in the fast food trade for 14 years, with shops in several Somerset towns.
He said: “I’m really looking forward to getting the Wells shop open.
“We will be doing a low key opening to start with to make sure that everyone is trained up properly.”
Last year’s blast made it a Christmas to remember for people living nearby as several were evacuated at 3.25am on Boxing Day morning.
Fire engines from Wells, Glastonbury and Shepton Mallet were called to the scene and stopped the blaze from affecting nearby houses.