B&Q refuse to help family devestated by house fire
A GLASTONBURY family have been left homeless after a tumble dryer burst into flames just moments after being turned on.
After the three-year-old dryer caught alight in the garage in Roman Way on Sunday, the fire quickly spread to the roof and adjoining house.
It took several hours for crews to tackle the blaze which started at around 1.20pm, and their efforts to save the house left it flooded.
Annette Grunwell, who lived there with husband Andy, and her children Hollie, 18, and Dominic, 15, said: "We've lost the whole of the garage, half the living room and we’ve got no electrics.
"The whole of the downstairs has been flooded, there are three holes in the roof, and most of the things in the attic are destroyed including pictures of my children and all the family memorabilia."
By 3.50pm, the firefighters had the blaze out and had to leave but arranged they would be back in a few hours to help put some tarpaulin over the tiles in the roof.
A family member, who had come to help, went straight to B&Q to buy some.
Mrs Grunwell said: "They were just closing and he explained there had been a major fire but they refused to sell him anything despite our situation. We offered them money, contacts, but they just said they had closed the tills and refused to help.
"I couldn't believe it. How could you treat another person in our situation like this?"
A spokesman for B&Q said: "We are investigating why the store team were unable to help Mrs Grunwell.
"Our store teams normally strive to go the extra mile to support local customers and communities. We apologise if on this occasion we did not meet our usual high standards of service."
The family were able to get the materials they needed from Oaklands Nursery in Street who also offered them nails for free.
The firefighters came back in the evening and spent around two hours attaching the tarpaulin to the roof, Mrs Grunwell said: "I would like to praise the fire service for all their help. If it hadn't have been for them and the garden centre, the house would have been even more flooded."